Monday, July 12, 2010

Four A.M. Wake Up Call

You know, when your baby beckons you during the day, it can be a very sweet, endearing moment. But when the clock barely ticks 4 a.m., and you feel like you just went to bed, it can be a big ole pain in the rear to drag yourself outta bed to see what's troubling the pint-size peanuts across the way.

Our house is a split plan - with the master bedroom on one end and the other two bedrooms where the kids are across the house. Thankfully, that does give us enough time to sort of wake up to see what's going on as we stumble out of bed and labor into their rooms to calm them down.

After a nice, relaxing week of vacation time away from our usual, daily grind, the kids were certainly in for a rude awakening - or shall I say, we absolutely were! No scheduled naps, meal times or anything that resembled normal was in place while we were away. And that's sort of the idea when you are on vacation right? To take a break from the norm and enjoy what's in store for each day...that's the overall theme for vacations - for the most part.

Our little Y was OK with very little structure for the first few days, but I found myself keeping him to his schedule a little bit better than for Roo. For one, it was easier for him as he was the only baby and he didn't need all of that sun exposure. Plus, he was genuinely tired and begging each day for his two naps. Roo on the other hand, had so much fun with her cousins and just playing that daily naps were the least of her worries.

By Sunday evening, we tried to get back into a rhythm. Dinner, bath and bed. Going to bed was a bit of a struggle, but staying in bed was even worse. Not just for her, but for both of them. I suppose we had de-programmed them for a solid week, and returning back to the originally scheduled program was not what they had in mind. At least, not last night.

This morning's drop-off at school was so tearful, I felt like I was betraying them for leaving them. The screams and cries stayed with me for the first few hours in the office as I tried to weed through the hundreds of unanswered emails. By lunchtime, I had no choice but to call the school to ensure they both were OK.

Despite the craziness of the previous week, I'm sure they will settle back into their little routines and sleep through the night again. At least, I keep praying that as I try to get a few snoozes before my two alarm clocks begin their cries before I'm scheduled to get up to start a new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment