Some would agree that I have very little patience to begin with. I have not an ounce of it for potty-training. On the one hand, I do want my little girl to stay a little baby. Makes for easier trips because she can just go in her diaper and we can change her at the next stop or when we get to our final destination. The "I-wanna-go-pee-pee" or "I-wanna-go-poo-poo" as her ploy to not nap or go to bed just wears out my soul. I'm half tempted to just let her go naked around the house as some parents have done over a weekend-crash-course to have their child go potty. That might make it a bit difficult to be social, but if that would do the the trick, I'd certainly try it. I even thought the reward of m&ms would work, but not as successfully as I'd hoped. She clearly knows when she has to go, but is still in control of what she wants to or not do. Can I be upset at her for standing up for what she wants to do?
During the weekdays when I'm at work and handling other issues, not worrying so much about my children, I have the reprieve of not having to think of tactics that will help out this situation. At home on the weekends, when the weather is not as pleasant to go outside, or we're all tired of watching Backyardigans for the 15th time, the thoughts of finding ways to endure potty patience can be quite consuming.
I'll continue reading on other successful ways to potty and just have to count to a thousand, take deep breaths when she sits idly on the toilet, batting her lashes and flashes her smile, squirms and states so defiantly, "I'm done," when nothing has come out.
Put her big girl panties on under her pull ups so se can feel it better, it also makes it so you can leave the house. We had to tell our girl that she needed to be "in control" if her peepees and that only she could put them in the potty and be in charge of them. We reminded her where the potty was an that she neede to go there when she wanted to be in control of her stuff. We stopped asking her to go and let her tell us. It worked!
ReplyDeleteWell today I bought her underwear and said she can start wearing them if she goes potty on a consistent basis. I think if we had her at home for a week straight, we may be able to get her to do it for real. Hard to do it while she's still in school and I'm not really sure if they would be diligent enough to keep an eye out. She's really good at telling us when she has to do her number two - it's the peepee that's been a bit harder! Thanks for the advice though. We are gonna try it out!
ReplyDelete