Three little words beyond the "I Love You" in a parent's vocabulary has got to be "I Don't Know." This past weekend, our little girl was exhibiting some strange behaviors and complaining about her girlie regions. I mean, as a female, I could understand that the area can be quite sensitive and a child as young as two won't be able to fully explain her discomfort. So we just watched and waited until the holiday was over before we could call the pediatrician to see if she can get checked out. Did we think that she was not wanting to do the potty-thing, or was she truly wanting to use the bathroom, but couldn't because of pain? I - D - K.
The worst part about not knowing what could be wrong is trying to find the appropriate reaction, without over-reacting. Sure, our child has been cranky and whiney before, but this time seemed different. Every time she has had an ear infection, she rarely has a fever, and explaining this to the nurse gatekeeper at the doctor's office is always so much fun. Same-day appointments are coveted at the pediatrician's office because they are just always so booked to begin with.
In the end, I'm glad I took her in today. It gave me a sense of relief and comfort knowing that even though she didn't have anything severe, the doctor gave me an "it's OK" for getting her checked out. I would have hated it more if she got worse and we could have helped this situation early on. Sometimes you just gotta go with your instinct. You may not be right 100 percent of the time, but you can certainly give your mind the rest it needs and the answer to your IDK.
No comments:
Post a Comment