Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Two Hours

During the week, some days I only have less than two hours to spend time with my kids, make dinner (or have the hubby throw something on the grill), eat as a family (although it's more like stuff your face, scarf down the food and take turns feeding the baby), bathe the children and then put them to bed. It can be quite exhausting and stressful as both of us try to still have some "me" time - whether that's kickboxing for me, or soccer for him on somewhat alternating nights. I have to admit that Mondays are probably are only "down" days when neither of us trying to rush out the door to get to another activity or head out of town or trek over to my sister's for the kids to play with each other. I try not to think about it as much, even when I'm stuck in rush hour traffic on the way home with my daughter asking at every red light from Capital Circle to Thomasville Road, "where are we goin' mommy?"

Within that short time frame, we as parents do have to do soooo much. As adults, we can eat dinner and talk and do all of that within a reasonable time frame. But when you have a toddler who chews, then tries to talk, then chews again while asking for water, apple juice, milk, or anything else that you don't have in front of her, you start to wonder, at what point do I just learn to eat and carry on a conversation while still maintaining a sense of time?

Some nights, we have to hurry her along with rewards of watching "Backyardigans," or eating dessert. Thankfully our little baby boy is still eating jar-food and is just as happy as can be once you've fed him his fill and give him something to play with while you eat your food. He's pretty quiet after he's been fed, and is quite happy when you share with him a little of something that you are eating too. I enjoy those moments with him as I know that just around the corner, we'll have a rambling toddler who has an opinion on just about anything, and won't be afraid to let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment