Sunday, June 13, 2010

I Gotta P

So our journey began with just a full two days of mostly accident-free potty. We were all determined that this was going to be the final day of pull ups and daipers. Her teachers were confident that she could do it, but I was a bit apprehensive. I knew our vacation trek would be a long haul and feared that she'd have an accident for sure, but it would be foolish to have a set back just because we wanted to make good time.

The first hour wasn't too bad. We stopped I think just once. But after a few unsuccessful trips to the bathroom - for she preferred some restrooms over others - we had a regular habit of checking in at the most hole-in-the-wall type gas stations where she would successfully pee. I felt bad going in each time, especially if I didn't purchase anything. Toward the latter part of our trip, I took my wallet in each time and purchased a little something as we headed out after a successful download.

It took us more than five hours to get to Atlanta, but we certainly made it in one piece and all dry. The rest of the trip up to Gatlinburg got more interesting, as she was getting more enamored with restrooms. Her first few words would always be, "Don't touch anything mommy, just hold on to mommy." She knew the routine - seat wipe down, underwear, on the pot and then go, and then washing of the hands. If she wasn't ready, it was always, "I don't need to go peepee." Thankfully, the big smile on her face after a successful trip was always well worth the stop and mostly deserving of M&Ms or Y's yogurt melts.

I hope the journey home will be just as eventful. What would a vacation be without your toddler telling you she's gotta pee?

No comments:

Post a Comment