Do you ever find yourself working on a small project or household activity, and then get easily distracted with other things around your said project? For example, I was going through the mail tonight and noticed that the refrigerator, stove, dishwasher all had lovely little prints all over it. Courtesty of the little fingers that come smudgingly into the kitchen every day.
I thought to myself, after I finish going through the week's worth of mail, I'll just polish the appliances. Then in the middle of wiping the appliances, I notice that the counters had dust on them. So I then take out the wipes and start wiping away. In the midst of the wiping, I notice that there are all sorts of things scattered on the countertops and start putting stuff away. While stuffing the cabinets and drawers with the things that are meant to go in there, I notice that there's dirt and hair on the kitchen floor, so I grab the broom and start sweeping. I sweep everywhere. While sweeping, I see that there's dust on the bookcase and the end tables. More dusting. As I reach down to pick up a toy that was left on the floor, I see the baseboard needed some dusting too. The list goes on and on. This is just the path to too much. I head down one thing, and end up getting distracted and irritated by something else that needs my attention. I fear that a lot of women are like me, or pray that they are not. I know this scatter-mind-cleaning drives my husband batty, as he doesn't understand the need to put things away in a timely fashion after they are used, and could really care less if we have dustballs in places that shouldn't have them.
I realize that after I sit down from doing all of these necessary chores, I just can't seem to make it stop. I make these paths for myself, without even realizing it, until by the end of the night, I'm pretty worn out from doing it all. My mind just doesn't stop until I'm really sleeping. Even then, I dream up things that are bound to get done sooner or later. They say you should do everything in moderation, but the only moderate thing I do is plan for the next project to tackle.
No comments:
Post a Comment