Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Girlie Gumptions

It's amazing how quickly our little girl has perfected the art of crying, all-around drama and simply getting what she wants. On days when she vehemently displays her attitude and defies us at every whim, are also the days we take away her beloved Backyardigans or other sweet treats. She is usually very quick to apologize to ensure she can get at least get some television time, but is also learning that for every action she does or does not do as we ask, there are consequences.

Today started off well enough, with both kids pretty happy when they awoke. The drop off at daycare was a bit clingy, but not particularly tearful. After dinner, and coincidentally after her daddy left to participate in futbol, she decided that she certainly wanted some of my diet soda. She had previously asked her daddy if she could have some, and he said that she could so long as she finished up her dinner. Of course, I felt that she had already consumed quite a bit of her juice and didn't need any coke to add to her already full belly. In her mind - and I do have to give her credit - she finished her dinner and so she assumed that she was going to get her drink. When that didn't go her way, she decided to defy other things that she knew she had to do. "I don't want to take a bath," she screamed.

Bathtime was painless since I promised her if she would cooperate, we could watch one show and then she had to read and get ready for bed. She seemed amicable enough, until the show ended...

When did my little girl decide she was going to be so rebellious and exert her authority, so to speak? At times, I do take pride that she has quite the gumption to be as defiant as her lungs would allow her to be - before we put the lid on it. But at others, I am quite amazed at her comprehension of the world around her, and her ability to piece things together to fit her needs.

The child likes to get her own clothes and determine even what color hair-band will go on her head. It certainly is amazing to see her develop into this little girl with so many questions, often times the exact ones over and over again in the span of 15 minutes. I often wonder if we don't do enough to stimulate her mind - as she certainly confuses ours on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment