Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Dinnertime Discussion

You know, it's funny when your kids think you are arguing when you are just having a normal discussion. Often times, our dinner table is filled with conversation that is not adult in any way. From "mommy, I want more" to food being flung at you out of sheer disdain - it's no wonder that our daughter told us to "settle down" the other night when we were chatting about the Governor's budget. I know, a terrible conversation piece altogether...but she had gotten so used to hearing herself talk and not much else at the dinner table, that she really thought we were arguing.

Ok, so recently we have had our heated moments in the car driving someplace. Typically these debates are after a long day or a very hectic morning trying to get out the door to do all of the errands that can never get done during the workweek (another blog on that one). I can honestly say I don't even remember what the topics were, but Roo had equated our conversations of raised voices to arguments. That was a bit unsettling to me.

My goal is to continue to push the conversation during dinner time - beyond the need and wants of our toddlers. Each day we are just so busy working and then working when we get home that I really want dinner to be a time for us to wind down and have adult conversations. Hopefully that will help our kids understand that dinner time is also a time for them to share their day with us. We try to stay as uninterrupted as possible - with no television or music - but it's definitely a challenge. Maybe this will be part of my 2011 resolution?

No comments:

Post a Comment