So for a while now, we have been rocking our little boy to sleep. He'd usually get done with a bottle and just about roll over, all cuddled up in my arms. Since we've switched him to whole milk and a sippy cup, things have been quite different. In fact, last night, he was inconsolable for several hours. We finally just put him in his crib and let him cry it out. He stood for a while, then knelt down, then succumbed to the dreariness of his tears. He fell asleep around 3 a.m. Boy was he a tired munchkin in the morning.
Tonight, I thought I'd give him some extra TLC. I figured he'd be dog-tired from a full day of school and even a shorter nap. We did our usual and I gave him his milk. He didn't drink but a couple of ounces and just seemed ready to jump out of my arms. So I put him in the crib and within 10 minutes, he had cried himself to sleep. I was like, WOW. Was that all I needed to do to get the boy some rest?
I know you all think that sounds so exceptionally cruel, but realizing that he can soothe himself to slumber makes me feel sort of proud. We certainly didn't help feed that pattern, but he has found a way to do it on his own. Maybe this parenting is easier than I thought? Nah.
No comments:
Post a Comment